Welcome to Thursday Organization Hacks! I had this idea a couple of days ago and thought I would share it with you all.
The desk that I have in my room has no drawers.
And as a person who likes to keep things within reach, this presented a bit of a problem for me. I didn’t have anywhere to store things other than on the top of my desk or on the two shelves underneath. I thrive on drawers when it comes to storing things. I like having organized drawers where I can store things out of sight. This idea of hiding my organized clutter got me thinking. I needed a DIY solution that would fit these criteria:
1. Must be narrow enough to fit on the shelves that I was provided with.
2. Can’t be an eyesore. Otherwise, I’ve just doubled my problem instead of solving it.
3. Needs to be either super cheap or free.
Thinking about my criteria got me thinking. Why not use shoe boxes? If you’re like me and you love shoes, you tend to have a shoe box or two lying around. Why not repurpose them into storage for pens, crafting supplies, and other miscellany that usually gets kept in a desk drawer?
I went into my closet and found four shoe boxes that were waiting to be either trashed or transformed. I measured and they all fit on my shelf! That checked off criterion 1. They were shoeboxes so they needed a bit of sprucing up for me to be able to check off criterion 2. But, I didn’t have to spend any extra money to get the shoe boxes or the materials to prettify them. That checked off criterion 3. Perfect!
So, I got down to work. I took out one of my mambi expandable paper pads (these things are so rad) and got busy making the box prettier. The paper is beautiful, expands out to 4x the size of the paper pad, and is the same sort of material as wrapping paper. Perfect for wrapping a shoe box. I decided to cover the box and the box lid in different papers and go from there.
Here’s how I did it!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- a shoebox
- wrapping paper or scrapbook paper.
1. Lay out a piece of your preferred paper face down. Place the bottom half of your shoebox on the paper.
2. Fold the paper up on the ends of the shoebox and measure if it needs to be cut down to size. Just like wrapping a present. Leave some extra paper so that you can tuck it over the edges of the box.
3. Cut the paper to the size you need and wrap!
4. Decorate and/or label to your heart’s content. 🙂
I hope this helps a few of you solve some organizational problems like it did for me. Happy crafting!